Monday, March 4, 2013

13. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU, IMA


Ima, my mother, finally surrendered to God’s will after putting up a valiant fight against lung cancer, the same disease that claimed my father eleven years go. In the 6 months that she battled the disease, she found comfort in my old Star Wars bedsheet—still soft and serviceable after all these years. My siblings from abroad sent her all kinds of brand new blankets—but it was this galactic sheet that she clung to, even as she was sustained by our love and prayers and buoyed by visits from family and friends.

 In the end, not even her favorite security shield could save her life, but her spirit remained unbroken throughout her ordeal. Her humor kept our faith alive and the strength of her will was incredible. Several times, on the brink of death, she miraculously bounced back, astounding even her doctors. But on the night of June 23, at 8 p.m, my Ima, spent and weary, decided it was time to join my late father Gerry and brother Eric in eternal life. Though physically gone, Ima lives in our hearts. Godspeed, Ima, wherever you are, may the Force be with you. (1 July 2009)

 WE REMEMBER IMA:  ESTER DEL ROSARIO-CASTRO

 (b. 13 Aug. 1928- d. 23 Jun. 2009)

Exactly a year ago today, our Mother, Estrella del Rosario-Castro, joined our Dad and brother Eric in eternal life. I miss her cooking, I miss her laughter in the house, I miss watching telenovelas and game shows with her, I miss Saturday Masses with her, and I miss our monthly dine-outs at her favorite Chinese Restaurants. But Ima lives on, loved and remembered for always in our minds and in our hearts!

 You were there when we took our first steps,
 And went unsteadily across the floor.
 You pushed and prodded: encouraged and guided,
 Until our steps took us out the door...

 You worry now "Are they ok?"
 Is there more you could have done?
 As we walk the paths of our unknown You wonder
"Where have my children gone?"

 Where we are is where you have led us,
 With your special love you showed us a way,
 To believe in ourselves and the decisions we make.
 Taking on the challenge of life day-to-day.

 And where we go you can be sure,
 In spirit you shall never be alone.
 For where you are is what matters most to us,
 Because to us that will always be home...

 (22 June 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment