Monday, May 20, 2013

22. FELIX GONZALES GOT EBAYED

I am an armchair art lover, driven primarily, I confess, by laziness. The past year, I haven’t done much gallery-hopping, especially those located in malls; noisy mall crowds turn me off. I prefer the solitude of browsing through the net at your own time and pace, checking what’s out on my favorite online auctions like ebay.

 Ebay.com to me is one big, happy international flea market—you’ll never know what will turn up once you do a quick search. I just type in “Philippine painting” and a listing will instantly be generated of all the Philippine-made paintings available for sale, new and old, made by all sorts of painters—some crappy, a few named artists, and on very rare occasions, by well-known Filipino masters.

 The works of Isidro Ancheta, C.V. Lopez, Ben Alano, Oscar Navarro, Jose B. David, Gabriel Custodio, Edouard Perrenoud, Romeo Tabuena, Cesar Buenaventura, I have seen on ebay. An Ang Kiukok was offered once, and even an Amorsolo work—unsigned but with what seemed like an authentic provenance--was put up on ebay. I remember bidding on that oleo with my friends: the subject was a woman carrying a pot and it was being sold by an Austrian dealer whose grandfather had worked at the University of Sto. Tomas where, the dealer claimed, the painting was given to him by THE Fernando Amorsolo.

 I lost, of course, and the winner, a Pinoy doctor from the U.S. won the masterpiece for a little more than $8,000—dirt-cheap, by any standard. A few days after, the bidding story was reported by Butch Dalisay in his column which was entitled “An Amorsolo on ebay”, detailing the fever-pitch war between the last two men standing--‘arcastro57’ and ‘drpineda’, with the latter finally winning and “laughing all the way to the bank”. In my collecting life, that probably ranks as “the biggest one that got away”.


 A week ago, on the same online auction site, I chanced upon a dealer’s items for sale that included three Philippine paintings. The first two were 1940s mixed media paintings signed by a certain Lingat, typical of cheap artworks sold in Manila shops. The third though was signed “F. Gonzales” from the 50s and I knew at once that this was Felix Pinto Gonzales (b. 2 May 1902, Navotas), a U.P. trained artist who worked in the realist tradition and whose works had appeared in Graphic Magazine before the War. The dealer had apparently misread the artist's signature.

 At one point in the 1950s, he served as President of the Academy of Filipino Artists. He set up a gallery at the Manila Hotel and also forayed in nearby Angeles City where his Pacific landscapes, ethnic types, portraits and velvet paintings found a willing American market. Felix Gonzales,who married Concepcion Sanchez,  is largely unknown till now, thanks in part to renewed and growing interest in the so-called “Mabini Art”. Felix’s own son, Federico and grandsons, Ferdel, Froilan and Dennis, are today, talented painters themselves and their works resonate with their late father’s exuberant spirit. The artist died with a smile on his lips,on 11 Dec. 1976--after completing his last painting of a blooming flower.


 This particular ebay painting I was eyeing had quite a commonplace, but appealing subject—a boy riding a carabao out on a frolic—a favorite visual theme of Filipiniana artists that celebrates the lost, innocent joys of rural childhood. This was no Amorsolo, but this work is becoming more collectible. Besides, it was painted very well, the colors subdued, the size perfect. Most of all, there was a strong Kapampangan connection which I favor. The only drawback was that it had a reserved price, meaning, and, until that price-- unknown to the buyer-- is reached, the Seller will not sell.

 In a few days, there was already one enthusiastic bidder. I kept telling myself that I would bid close to the ending time, but I never got around to doing that—I am lazy, remember? The bidding came to an end, the reserved price was not met, and the painting didn’t sell. Worse, the painting was not relisted, another case of another one that got away.


 But just two days after, another painting surfaced from a dealer in Florida—he had a smaller painting of yet again, a typical, overdone Filipino subject: a bahay kubo under a palm tree with the usual rural landscape in the background. But it was beautifully painted with characteristic short strokes, serene colors and a certain moodiness that’s so Filipino. The 1955 painting, in its original scruffy frame, was signed, according to the dealer, by a certain “R. Gonzales.”


Of course, by this time, I have become so familiar with the way Gonzales signed his work—he signed using the initials of his first and middle name, followed by his last name. His F(elix) merged with his P(into) so much so that to an untrained eye, the linked letters would look like R.


 Two Gonzales paintings in two days, offered by two different sellers. This must be more than just coincidence, I told myself. And I promised that this time around, I will own a Felix Gonzales vintage painting. In the dying hours of the auction, I checked the item and it had already 2 bids, the top bid being $63. I put in my maximum bid, turned off my computer and went to sleep.

 The next day, it was my turn to laugh all the way to the (rural) bank. Felix Gonzales was mine!

(28 May 2009)
  
(POSTSCRIPT: When I contacted the Florida dealer to inform him I bidded all the way from the Philippines, he responded by writing “Maraming salamat po!”. It turned out that the seller was a kabayan, which makes the painting truly and proudly Philippine made!)

38 comments:

  1. I have come into the possession of what appears to be a Felix Gonzalez Painting from 1966. The signature is the same as you posted. It is painted on velvet and looks like the first photo of the blog but is a night scene instead. I was wondering what the value is on these paintings. I have researched online with little success and I cannot find much information on Felix Gonzalez senior as most of the info is about his son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm the daughter of the late Felix Gonzalez Sr. Just felt so proud of my Dad and his work after reading this post. I was still a child when he opened his art gallery at the Manila Hotel till he moved in to Mabini, Ermita, Manila where you can find all the Filipino artist owned an art Gallery there. The last painting of my dad was a flower subject. He did this on an early morning around 3:00AM. I was sleeping beside him when he passed away. He died with a smile on his face. He was the best father for me. Just sharing my memories of him....

      Delete
    2. my Dad's specialty is painting on velvet and mostly portraits of famous persons. Like: Pres John F. Kennedy, Pres Lyndon B. Johnson, Winston Churchill, The princess of Japan (I forgot the name), King Suharto of Indonesia, President Ferdinand Marcos, Pres Carlos P. Garcia, President Diosdado Macapagal, President Ramon Magsaysay (the last four were all Philippine presidents). I knew it all cause I saw him worked on it. He died on December 11, 1976. His date of birth: May 2, 1902, He was married to the late Concepcion Sanchez Gonzalez (my mom)....

      Delete
    3. Hi Gloria. I just saw in my parent's house that there is a bahay kubo painiting (1978) signed by an F. Gonzalez.

      Delete

    4. Hey Gloria, I have a Felix Gonzalez Sr 56 painting on velvet of a night scene on water with a sailboat and a couple of island bungalows. Beautiful painting still in original frame, can you tell me about it? My email is acorrao19@gmail.com

      Delete
    5. Hi Gloria. I have a painting by F.Gonzalez 1966 in velvet looks like a Mexican smoking a pipe. I would like to know more about this painting.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day, Sir! My friend's uncle inherited paintings from the early 1960's with F. Gonzalez signs. We're just curious lang po how old the paintings are. I can send you the pictures it you're interested to see po. Salamat po!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm the daughter of FElIX PINTO GONZALEZ, IF YOU CAN SHOW ME THE PICTURES, perhaps I can tell you old those paintings are...

      Delete
    2. I mean, perhaps upon seeing those pictures I might be able to tell you how old those paintings are.....

      Delete
    3. I too acquired a painting with his signature labled olongapo city 1971 i got from a friend an i know nothing on it

      Delete
    4. Gloria ,could you please e-mail me at trinapenno@charter.net ? I would like to show you a painting I have from Lex Gonzalez Jr. and see what you can tell me, thanks so much!

      Delete
    5. i have a painting, would like to know more about it.
      it is a fascinating piece.

      thank you

      Delete
    6. Madame, I have two paintings by F Gonzales. Can I send you pics via email? Maybe you can tell me something about them?

      Delete
    7. I'll be waiting for all those pics and I'll try to recall all of them . This is gloria and my email is gsgonzalez.gg@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. They are undated? He usually dates them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could I email about an oil painting I have from the 60s made by his son? This blog is the only place I have found that had images of painting other than flowers when I have googled Felix Gonzalez. My painting is signed Lex Gonzalez.

      Delete
    2. Rachel, that's the artwork of my brother Lex Gonzalez.

      Delete
  5. I have a small 5x7 ocean scape by Felix Gonzalez JR. I would love more information on, thanks, Trina

    ReplyDelete
  6. please e-mail me at trinapenno@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello my aunt gave me a painting claimed to be by your dad could you perhaps give me any more information on it? You can email me at aislinnlowth@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gloria, please email me at debranmar1@yahoo.com. I will send you a pic of my painting.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria can you please email me at bradjcap@gmail.com
      i have a painting and would like to know more. it is from manila - 67 - thanks!

      Delete
    2. okay.... perhaps ill just send you my email so you could send the pictures right away... my email is: gsgonzalez.gg@gmail.com

      Delete
  9. Hello Gloria, would you please email me at happycostas@yahoo.com? I have a painting signed by F Gonzalez. It is a large green landscape. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gloria! I recently acquired a painting signed by F Gonzalez 1951 depicting a Moro vintage boat and several nips huts afloat on a river. I can show you the painting if you are interested. This painting I got was inherited by my father whose father was the late Dr. Miguel Canizares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will appreciate it very much if you will send me copies of my father's painting.... my email is gsgonzalez.gg@gmail.com

      Delete
  11. Hello po,meron po akong painting na may f.gonzales signature. Gusto ko po pa retouch ksi napunasan ko po ng basang basahan nagkalat na po. Regalo lang po sya sa akin ng isang japanese friend. Ang painting po ay babae na may dalang batya dumadaan sa ibabaw ng tulay na bukirin at fish pond ang kapaligiran.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi my name is Mark and I have a piece by felix gonzales senior.
    If anyone is interested in seeing a picture of it
    markrhodesartist@hotmail.com
    I live in Australia
    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  13. My painting is of workers in the fields Phillipines about 70 x 90cm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi. We have a painting of ferdel gonzales 1985. I would like to know if this is from the same ferdel gonzales, the son of sir Felix
    Ms. Gloria hope you could email me at rence_blanquisco@yahoo.com so i could send you the picture of the painting. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently inherited a painting done by F. Gonzalez in 1951. It depicted several nipa huts floating on a river and one had a flag on it. My grandfather the late Dr Miguel Canizares had several from diff painters like Amorsolo, Antonio Dumlao and M Galvez.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I recently inherited a painting done by F. Gonzalez in 1951. It depicted several nipa huts floating on a river and one had a flag on it. My grandfather the late Dr Miguel Canizares had several from diff painters like Amorsolo, Antonio Dumlao and M Galvez.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a Felix Gonzalez Sr 56 painting on velvet of a night scene on water with a sailboat and a couple of island bungalows. Beautiful painting still in original frame, can anyone tell me what I have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. could please send the picture at my email: gsgonzalez.gg@gmail.com and I will try to identify if it is the work of my father....

      Delete
  18. I have a painting of your fatherd. It was a gift to my parents when we left the Philippines. It is of a grass hut on the seaside, with several of the native canoes by the structure. It is beautiful and wondered if you are trying to collect them back or anything. It does not have a number on it though? Email me if you want ThodaDHomer@hotmail.com I can send a picture

    ReplyDelete