Thursday, December 30, 2021

70. 2019: THE YEAR THAT WAS: Looking at Life From Up and Down

As we start a new decade, I look back at 2019 and realize what a mixed bag of events and emotions it had brought us, and me personally, as I struggled with some health issues ( I am coughing as I write this) and many personal losses this year. But I am still thankful that I weathered the year, and ended it with a better sense of purpose, thanks to a leadership that brought back some optimism to our dispirited city that has been mismanaged for over 2 decades.

INDELIBLE IMAGES FROM 2019


JANUARY began on an ominous note with the passing of my aunt Imang Auring Samson-Castro  on Jan. 3 in Baguio. She was our go-to person when I and my sibling went to school in Baguio (my sister Celine even became their ward), and it was sad to see her go, as this left our 99 year old Imang Elsie (the eldest sister of my late father)—the only surviving senior Castro in the family.

On our way down from going to her memorial service on Jan. 5, we met an accident in Sison, Pangasinan, where a motorcycle rider veered to our lane and crashed his bike on my car. Thank God, he came out of it with just a broken toe, and no one was hurt. How’s that for a double whammy?

Some  days after, our nephew Robby Castro Dizon and girlfriend Macel Bermudez, finished their month-long visit to Pampanga and returned to the Auckland, New Zealand on Jan. 16.

On Jan 17, award-winning GMA TV journalist Howie Severino interviewed me for  his “I-Witness” documentary “Unang Reyna”, that touched on the legacy  of Pura Villanueva, the first true national beauty queen of the Philippines.

I turned 62 years old on Jan. 21, an uneventful number. I had not planned on celebrating my birthday, but my friends at the Center for Kapampangan Studies wouldn’t let me—so they threw a small party for me at the university, bless them!

On Friday, Jan. 25, the second Holy Angel University-produced film ARIA, written by Robby Tantingco and directed by Carlo Catu, had its premiere at SM Clark.

FEBRUARY was a month of reunions and endless get-togethers, beginning on Feb. 3 where the Mabalacat Elementary School Alumni Association held a grand motorcade—and our batch’s float—Class of 1969—led the way!!  Our Golden Jubilee Homecoming happened on Feb. 9, at the Venmari Resort. It was great to reconnect again with my dear elementary classmates, many of whom I have not seen for 40 years!

In contrast, the evening event held at the Aseana Conventon Center in Clark was a formal, but well-attended affair. On Feb. 24, at Lola Nor’s. it was the turn of Caballeros1973 Sacred Heart Seminary High School Batch--- to have our mini-reunion. Classmates from Mabalacat, Angeles, and U.S.-based balikbayans attended the spur of-the-moment, but super fun affair!

MARCH was uneventful, but on March 19, I had to go to the Medical City Hospital to have my problem trigger finger checked up as it was getting worse and giving me constant pain.

APRIL has always been a busy month for me, mainly because of the annual observance of Holy Week. On Holy Wednesday, April 17, our Mater Dolorosa was already on its decorated carroza when heavy rains fell, prompting the cancellation of the evening procession. Thankfully, the freaky weather cooperated on Good Friday, April 19, and our Sta. Maria Jacobe—plus 4 more of my santos (Oracion, Christ at the Column, Sta. Salome, Captive Christ) —wended their way around the city without a hitch and we all went home dry.

In the afternoon of April 22, while I was at work on my computer, the hous started shaking and I realized it was an earthquake---and a strong one! By the time I had stepped out, the rumblings settled, but the intensity 6.1 quake had leveled a supermarket in Porac, trapping people inside.

MAY, my trigger thumb was finally operated on by my orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Peter Papio,  at Medical City- Clark on May 8. My troubled thumb was in bandage for 2 weeks! I was well enough to vote during the city election conducted on May 13, at my precinct in Mabiga.

 By May 14, the counting was done and a new leader emerged-my candidate Cris Garbo was proclaimed as the new mayor of Mabalacat, beating his opponent by a landslide. Most of his councilors, too, won their seats, thus putting an end to the 2-decade term of Boking Morales.

On JUNE 23, we marked our Mothers’s (Ester del Rosario-Castro) 10th death anniversary.

JULY was not particularly busy, but on  Jul. 12, together with CKS friends Robby and Myra, went to Manila to be at the launch of Claude Tayag’s watercolor book at the National Museum. The movers and shakers of the local art and culture scene were all there at the historic and picturesque venue, and needless to say, we had a great time.

Jul. 14, I attended the first Mass of friend and now Rev. Fr.  Jude Belnas, who had planed in from England to officiate his homecoming mass at the Divine Grace Church. In Jul. 27, I toured former Health Sec. Manuel Dayrit at the CKS Museum, who had Angeleño Del Rosario in his lineage,  which made him a relative!

On AUGUST 8, it was back to Manila to join an important meeting at the Bantayog ng mga Bayani Center upon the invitation of CDC Chairman Mr. Ping de Jesus. He wanted to rainstorm on possible ways to improve  the displays at the Martial Law Museum housed in their Quezon City building . The get-together was significant in that me, Robby and Myra managed to meet some of the most well-known victims and oppositionists of the Marcos regime-from Bobbi Malay, Susan Quimpo to Joy Jopson-Kintanar ( widow of late detainee and victim Ed Jopson)

A major project that Golden Jubilee Class of 1969 undertook and which I conceptualized  was the heritage coloring book of Mabalacat, entitled “Bale Matua”. The 20 page book, illustrated by local artist Dodjie Aguinaldo,  featured 18 coloring pages of  ancestral structures. On Aug. 23, some 20 Mabalacat Elementary School alumni , led by valedictorian Elvie Almazar, were on hand to distribute the books for free to select Grade 4 and 5 students, during the Buwan ng Wika celebration. The event was covered by leading local papers and TV stations, as the project was the first of its kind in the region. More coloring books were later donated to the San Francisco Elementary School.

SEPTEMBER marked a family milestone with the Wedding of my beautiful niece Trisha Castro to her longtime boyfriend JC Paras, held on Sep. 14 at the Sacred Heart Parish in San Fernando. Trisha is one of two daughters of my late brother, Christopher Eric Castro, with Fe Bingcang. Reception was held at the Country Garden which was magically transformed into a veritable garden of flowers with crystal accents. I was honored to have been one of the Principal Sponsors. My brother would also have been proud! Long may they live and prosper!

 Clearly the highlight of the month of OCTOBER, and perhaps the whole year for me happened on October 7, when the City Government of Mabalacat, led by Vice Mayor Geld P. Aquino, presented me with a copy of Resolution No. 06, recognizing my contribution to the cultural,artistic, moral and spiritual upliftment of the city, primarily for the song, “Bayung Mabalacat” which I co-created and which was used as the campaign song of the new Mayor’s , and which has now become the new anthem of Mabalacat. I never felt so proud to receive such honor!

Like all Pinoys, NOVEMBER started with a trek to the cemetery on Nov. 1 to remember our dear departed loved ones, in my case my parents, younger brother and both paternal and maternal grandparents.

On Nov. 6, I had my passport renewed at the local DFA. Five days later, on Nov. 11, it was back to the Medical City-Clark again as I am disturbed by these floaters that were affecting my vision. Well, the ophthalmologist said that there’s nothing pathologically wrong—floaters, she says, naturally occur with age. Ouch, that hurts!

My brother –in-law, Nilo Dizon,  landed in Clark from Auckland, New Zealand on Nov. 21 for a month-long vacation. Since he is a certified tramper, I arranged for a trek to Mabalacat’s next best tourist attraction, the hidden Haduan Falls in faraway sitio Haduan. We began our trek in the early morning of Nov. 28,  which required us negotiating a hanging bridge, navigating a rocky river trail, and climbing a steep-ledge to reach the falls. Death defying, but still worth it, despite a bruised rib, scrapes and spills.

The month ended with a bang with the start of the 30th SEA Games on Nov. 30. The Parade Ground of Clark-Mabalacat was the venue for some of the sporting events like Dancesports, Rugby 7, and Archery,

Before we knew it, it was the Christmas month of DECEMBER!  First thing I did was to have my san Fernando lantern repaired, and it was soon up and blinking! On Dec. 11, I attended the 448th Pampanga Day’s Most Outstanding Kapampangan Awards at Royce Hotel in Clark. Our two nominees, entrepreneur Mrs. Elvira Machuca and swimmer Kayla Noelle Sanchez won their respective categories—for Business and Sports, respectively.

 As the Christmas week neared, I was suddenly plagued with cough and fever, seems like there’s an epidemic going on, and I am still recuperating as I write this.  In the morning of Dec. 23, we brought my bro.in law to the Clark Airport—for his return flight to NZ, in time to join his family there for Christmas.

I missed this year’s Maytinis in Mabalacat, so I went to Clark for my Dec. 25 morning mass at Our Lady of Remedies Chapel. The rest of the day, I was coughing miserably, so I just spent the rest of Christmas at home and went on an online movie marathon.

I had a reunion lunch with some of my santo-aficionado friends in Malolos on Dec. 29, hosted by friend Leo Cloma. I got to see again their Museum of Incarnation, which was full to the brim with ecclesiastical arts and processional santos.

So now 2020 has arrived, I have all but junked the idea of making my New Year’s resolutions. I guess at this point in my life ( I turn 63 next month), I will just start each day unplanned, relishing what great things each day gives, and accepting whatever news that comes my way, sad, bad or glad. For sure though, I will continue my regular swimming, movie watching (I have breezed thru all episodes of Lucifer, The Hoarders, Gotham, and now, The Witcher)  and my writing, this time for the widely referenced pop culture online blog, FilipiKnow. And we’ll see what happens after that!

 IN MEMORIAM 2019

I will hold dear  the memories of these  relatives, friends and colleagues who all left this mortal world in 2019. May their souls rest in peace.

1.      AUREA Samson CASTRO (+  January 3, Aunt, married to my uncle Mateo Castro)

2.      RENE TIONGQUICO (+ Mar. 29, age 62,  Elementary classmate, died just  a month after our 50th alumni reunion)

3.      JUSTINO Palao CASTRO (+ Apr. 10, age 66, Cousin)

4.      FR. HENRY GROENEWEGEN (+Jul. 2, age 85, our High School Prefect of Studies, Sacred Heart Seminary, Angeles City)

5.      NORLITO Sanchez DEL ROSARIO (+ Oct. 11, age 77, Uncle)

6.      LUISA del Rosario TINIO ( + 8 Dec. 2019, age 64, First Cousin)

7.      JOSEPH Guazon LAGLEVA ( + 19 Dec. 2019, age 59, MassComm school mate St. Louis University, Baguio)

8.      TINA Isidro ISORENA (+ 20 Dec. 2019, age 56, officemate at Jimenez D’Arcy)

No comments:

Post a Comment