Tuesday, October 29, 2013

41. Review: GLIMPSES OF OLD CEBU

Category: Books 
Genre: Arts & Photography 
Author: Lucy Urgello Miller University of San Carlos Press 
276 pp. Hardbound

When I got hold of this book from La Solidaridad and saw the author's name, it rang a few bells in my head. After leafing through the pages, I realized that this was the same Lucy Miller that I had frequently bidded against on ebay, especially when the items up for bid were Manila Carnival photos. Her old photo collection about her province has suddenly become a handsome picture book.

Around 700 of her choicest postcards and photos are included here, depicting everything Cebu--from Magellan's cross, magnificent residences, modes of travel, public places to scenes from the Cebu carnivals and other historic events. Captions, anecdotes and engaging stories accompany each photo--like the murder of a Cebuano couple, the visit of Taft and the killing of 4 American teachers by bandits. This book is of particular interest to me as it is a perfect combination of local history (which I have always been partial too) as well as colonial photography (read: nostalgia! antiques!). I am glad I found this copy--the last one, in fact--in Manila. When this goes out of print, expect "Glimpses of Old Cebu" to be a valuable collectible too.

 (Thanks to Mr. Louie Nacorda for tipping me about this book)

(9 June 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment